A LITTLE ON MY BBG BACKGROUND
If you’ve been following for awhile, you know I’ve been doing BBG for nearly three years now! I started the program back in April/May 2016 and have honestly stuck with it every week since. I have not missed a single resistance workout! With that said, I have had to modify them based on what equipment I have on hand when I’m traveling… but I still do it! That’s what I love so much about the program. It was made so that you can truly get a workout in anywhere, anytime. So great for people like me who travel a lot! It’s also a great program if you don’t have access to a gym or don’t want to spend a fortune on a membership.
When I first started the BBG program, I purchased the printable e-books from Kayla Itsines’ website. You can read all about those in my first post here, along with what motivated me to start the program in the first place. I used the BBG 1.0 and BBG 2.0 printouts for just about two years before deciding to finally download the Sweat App this fall! I’m actually so mad at myself at how long it took me to do that, because the app is AMAZING.
WHY I LOVE THE SWEAT APP
While I think the BBG 1.0 e-book is a great way to try out the program initially (especially if you are hesitant to sign up for any kind of subscription), the app is SO. MUCH. BETTER. And here’s why:
- With the print-out guides, you get 24 weeks of BBG workouts (BBG 1.0 and BBG 2.0). With the Sweat app you get 84 weeks of BBG workouts (BBG 1.0-BBG 8.0), plus dozens of additional challenges for various fitness levels (Death by Squats! Equipment-Free Challenge! 600-Rep Ab Challenge!) to throw into your routine.
- In the printout guides there are pictures of Kayla performing each exercise, but with the Sweat App there are actual videos of her doing the moves for each circuit! It is so helpful and also important so you know you have the right form for each move.
- In addition to those visual cues on the Sweat App, there are also audio cues! Kayla tells you what your next circuit workout is and how many reps you have to do, as well as signaling the end of your circuit when the timer runs out each time.
- There is also a way to track your LISS and HIIT cardio on the App, with options like walking, running, cycling etc. You set the timer for however long you want to do it, and it will track it and cheer you on! You’ll get notifications half way through and at the end to let you know your workout is complete.
- Finally, the Sweat App has even more than just BBG. The Sweat App is made up of SEVEN workout programs! BBG, BBG Stronger, Body and Mind, PWR, PWR Post-Pregnancy, BUILD, and FIERCE are the various programs available to you, and you can read about each one here. All seven programs are made for women, by women. I’ve actually never tried any of the other programs yet, but definitely want to! They are all included in the same subscription price you pay, so when you buy the app for BBG you get them all. So many workout programs right at your finger tips!
SWEAT APP // EXAMPLE LEG CIRCUITS
Below are a few screenshots of what one of the LEGS workouts looks like! On the first tab (with the runner highlighted at the top) you’ll find the circuits you’ll be asked to do, featuring the name, number of reps and an animation of Kayla doing the move as an example so you can get your form right. The next tab over (the dumbbell icon) is where you can see what equipment you need for that specific workout. The tab over from that (the music) is where you can choose what playlist you want to use (your own or one of Kayla’s!). Finally, the last tab allows you select which audio cues you want playing during the workout.
SWEAT APP // LOW INTENSITY CARDIO, HIGH INTENSITY CARDIO AND RECOVERY
If you want to keep track of how many LISS workouts or optional High Intensity cardio intervals you do each week, the app does that too! You select from either “Low Intensity” (walk, run, or cycle) or “High Intensity” (sprints outside or on a treadmill), set the time for how long you want to do that workout and click start! There is also a section on the app completely dedicated to recovery, aka stretching post-workout. The Recovery section is set up just like the circuit workouts, showing you the stretches with animations, how long to stay in that position, what equipment you might need, etc.
SWEAT APP // CHALLENGES & QUICK WORKOUTS
In addition to the required Legs, Arms and Abs circuits that are the core of the BBG program, Kayla created several dozen “challenges” to throw in and mix things up! So if you plan to do BBG Legs on Monday, Arms on Wednesday and Abs on Friday, you might throw in a challenge on Tuesday and Saturday! There are challenges for every skill level: beginner, intermediate and advanced. Some challenges focus on a specific muscle group, while others are full-body challenges! It’s a fun way to keep your body guessing and give you something new to accomplish each and every week!
WHERE I AM WITH BBG NOW
I’ve now been using the Sweat app for about three months and am absolutely loving it! I’m currently on BBG 3.0 Week 36. It’s just such a great program and I feel so accomplished every time I finish a workout. The circuits are all very challenging and I’ve definitely never been as in shape as I am today. Due to my travel schedule and love of food (I tend to overindulge!), I may not always LOOK in shape, but my body is as strong as it has ever been. I can’t recommend the BBG program enough!!!!! Click here to download the app for yourself